The Consumer Product Safety Commission is alerting parents to keep clutter out of their baby’s sleep area, as it could cause life-threatening situations.
Thankfully, they’ve provided the public with tips regarding nighttime safety…
• Always place baby on back to sleep
• Use a crib that meets current CPSC standards
• Keep pillows, quilts, comforters and cushions out of baby’s crib, bassinet or play yard
• Use a firm, tight-fitting mattress
• Positioning devices are unnecessary and can be deadly
• For warmth, dress baby in footed pajamas
CPSC also urges to never add pillows, quilts, comforters or cushions to your baby’s crib, bassinet or play yard.
Nearly half of the infant crib deaths and two-thirds of bassinet deaths reported to CPSC each year are suffocations from a baby being placed on top of pillows and thick quilts or because of overcrowding in baby’s sleep environment.
Original content and image provided by CPSC.