Congratulations on your little bundle of joy! Now that you have safely delivered your baby, you might want to invest in a brand-new, good-quality breast pump to ensure that your baby has access to your milk even when you are away from her. Irrespective of whether you are stepping out for just a few hours, needing a little rest or thinking about returning to work, a breast pump is a handy tool to own.
There are several types of breast pumps available in the market
The Electric or Battery operated Breast Pump
If you anticipate being away from your baby often (especially if you intend to go back to work), have a steady milk supply and need to pump a couple of times during the day, you might want to purchase a high-end, fully automatic Electric Personal-Use Breast Pump. These pumps usually weigh about five pounds; some even less and offer amazing functionality such as adjustable suction levels, quick cycling time and double-pumping, etc.
Most top-quality electric models are more expensive than the manual ones but they stand-out on counts of efficiency, comfort and convenience of use; not to forget they’re quiet too, and promote a higher milk supply as they drain the breasts completely. And these models come with all the necessary accessories such as bottles, labels, clips, storage bags and nipple ointment, etc., to make your life easier!
If you are facing difficulty nursing your baby during the first few weeks after delivery, you should consider using a Hospital-Grade Electric Breast Pump with a double collection kit.
The Manual or Hand Operated Breast Pump
Looking for a simple, straight-forward and affordable breast pump that’s light-weight too? A low-cost, hand-operated breast pump weighing less than two pounds may be ideal for you. Hand-operated breast pumps are popular with moms who don’t plan to use the pump more than once a day or even less, and prefer to have hand control over the suction process. On the flip side, many moms feel that a manual pump requires more effort to operate and is incapable of emptying their breasts completely, which in turn hampers their milk supply. Unlike electric pumps, a manual pump can be used to drain only one breast at a time, making it time consuming too.
So before you purchase a breast pump, do take into account your needs, preferences and of course, your budget. And once you start using your breast pump, make sure to clean the pump properly after use and never share it with anyone to avoid infection.
Insurance can cover the cost of the pump. Aeroflow Breastpumps is a company that does the tough part of filling out all the paperwork to your insurance for you. Go to their website to fill out the form for your free breast pumps through insurance.
Here are our top 5 picks for Breast Pumps:
1. Medela Pump in Style Advanced Starter Set
The Medela Pump in Style Start Sets are proven to help you produce more milk in less time. Unique features include 2-Phase Expression technology, the one touch let-down button that allows moms to change between stimulation and expression phases and adjustable vacuum settings so mom can choose her most comfortable pumping settings.an electric breast pump designed for moms who pump several times a day, Medela’s breast pumps work more like breastfeeding babies to deliver the milk you need to provide for your baby even when you’re not there.
- 2-Phase Expression technology with one-touch let-down button
- Daily use — double-electric breastpump
- Single knob speed/vacuum adjustments
- All parts that touch breastmilk are made without BPA
- Produces more milk in less time when pumping at Maximum Comfort Vacuum in the expression phase
- Helps prevent spills and keeps tubing organized between pumping session
2. Lansinoh Smartpump 2.0 Double Electric Breast Pump Deluxe with Tote
The Lansinoh Smartpump 2.0 is ultra-quiet and lightweight. The new design features an ergonomic carrying handle, making it easily portable. It connects to the new-and-improved Lansinoh Baby 2.0 app to automatically track pumping sessions for you. This pump comes with ComfortFit® flanges that are soft and flexible, which creates the ideal fit and suction for moms. Confidently and discreetly pump anywhere.
- Ultra-quiet motor, as quiet as a whisper
- ComfortFit® flanges are soft and flexible; hugs your curves for the ideal suction and fit
- Uses Bluetooth® to automatically track your pumping sessions with the Lansinoh Baby 2.0 app
- 8 adjustable hospital strength suction levels for power and comfort – easily adjust to your most efficient setting
- 2 mode technology for let down and expression modes to maximize breast milk expression, with automatic switching
- 3 pumping styles to choose from to help mimic your baby’s natural feeding pattern
- Remembers your last pump setting to simplify your routine, and slowly builds power back up so you don’t get a sudden unexpected tug
- Easy to use with backlit LCD screen, lightweight body, and carrying handle
- Hygienic, closed system helps prevent milk backup into tubing for easier cleaning
- Dishwasher safe parts and easy to clean
- Includes AC Adapter or can be used with 6 AA batteries or pump car adapter for on-the-go pumping (batteries not included, and pump car adapter sold separately)
3. Spectra S2PLUS Breast Pump with AFBP Sydney Breast Pump Backpack
The S2Plus is a great choice for moms wanting to feel confident they have an effective and powerful breast pump to support supply while incorporating features like an ultra-quiet motor, backflow protection, adjustable suction levels, auto-timer, and night light. Combine it with the AFBP Sydney backpack to stay organized on-the-go.
- Closed system with Backflow Protector to protect from harmful bacteria
- Ultra-quiet motor
- Adjustable suction levels up to L12 to provide a more natural flow of milk
- 270 mmHg
- LCD display with auto-timer
- Night light to easily pump at any hour
- Single or double pumping capability
- All parts that come in contact with breast milk are BPA/DEHP free
4. Motif Luna Double Electric Breast Pump with Nursing Pads and Breast Milk Storage Bags
The Motif Luna is a high-powered breast pump that gives you “more milk in less time” according to moms who have used it! Paired with 40 count breastmilk storage bags and 60 count nursing pads, you’ll have the perfect package.
- “More Milk in Less Time” – Moms who tried the Luna say it works well under pressure in a short amount of time. Comfortable at the highest setting for a faster let-down.
- Pump How You Want – Single or double pumping option.
- Ease of Use – Simple setup and easy customization options so you can quickly find what works best for you and your baby.
- You’re in Control – Easily adjust vacuum level and cycles to fit your comfort level.
- Backlit LCD Screen – Easy-to-read screen that won’t strain eyes.
- Night Light – Built-in LED light with three different settings. Perfect for pumping while your baby is sleeping.
- Closed System – Backflow prevention keeps the motor and tubing clean, preventing contamination.
- Quiet Motor – Pump discreetly with a 45-decibel hum. So quiet it won’t wake baby.
- Auto Shut-Off – Turns off automatically after 30 minutes of use.
- Lightweight – Just 2 pounds. Built compact for easy mobility.
- Easy-to-Read Milk Collection Containers – Sturdily built and stark printed scale makes measuring simple.
5. NatureBond Manual Breast Pump Silicone Breastfeeding Milk Saver Nursing Pump
- Most Value For Money Silicone Breast Pump / Breastmilk Saver With BOTH Pump Strap And Silicone Pump Stopper: Silicone Manual Breast Pump collects “let-down” / breast milk leaks and relieves engorgement using pure natural suction pressure. Every ounce of breast milk is precious. Save it for your baby.
- Extremely Soft And Comfortable. Unlike other silicone pumps that have pour spout, NatureBond has removed redundant pour spout that cause discomfort to breast skin during suction. This is important to moms. With Pump Straps, there will be “no more crying over spilled milk” too.
- Easy to use, Lightweight and Portable – Hands-free and saves breastmilk on the other side during breastfeeding. Very Lightweight and Perfect for travelling. Hassle free and no pumping “noise” that may awake the baby
- High Quality Silicone breast pump. Sterile Vacuum Sealed. BPA Free and FDA Approved Food Grade Silicone. Lab tested and certified by Bureau Veritas which is a World Leader in Testing, Inspection and Certification.
- Must Have Essentials Pack that includes both Patented Pump Strap And Silicone Stopper. Complete with Dust Cover Lid, Velvet Pouch, Silicone Breast Pump and Full Color English Instructions in Hardcover Gift Box. Perfect baby shower gift for newborn mothers. Recommended by lactation nurses from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital (USA).
- #1 Silicone Manual Breast Pump in USA, UK & Canada.