Congratulations on your little bundle of joy! Now that you have safely delivered your baby, you might want to invest in a brand-new, good-quality breast pump to ensure that your baby has access to your milk even when you are away from her. Irrespective of whether you are stepping out for just a few hours, needing a little rest or thinking about returning to work, a breast pump is a handy tool to own.
There are several types of breast pumps available in the market:
If you anticipate being away from your baby often (especially if you intend to go back to work), have a steady milk supply and need to pump a couple of times during the day, you might want to purchase a high-end, fully automatic Electric Personal-Use Breast Pump. These pumps usually weigh about five pounds; some even less and offer amazing functionality such as adjustable suction levels, quick cycling time and double-pumping, etc.
Most top-quality electric models are more expensive than the manual ones but they stand-out on counts of efficiency, comfort and convenience of use; not to forget they’re quiet too, and promote a higher milk supply as they drain the breasts completely. And these models come with all the necessary accessories such as bottles, labels, clips, storage bags and nipple ointment, etc., to make your life easier!
If you are facing difficulty nursing your baby during the first few weeks after delivery, you should consider using a Hospital-Grade Electric Breast Pump with a double collection kit.
Looking for a simple, straight-forward and affordable breast pump that’s light-weight too? A low-cost, hand-operated breast pump weighing less than two pounds may be ideal for you. Hand-operated breast pumps are popular with moms who don’t plan to use the pump more than once a day or even less, and prefer to have hand control over the suction process. On the flip side, many moms feel that a manual pump requires more effort to operate and is incapable of emptying their breasts completely, which in turn hampers their milk supply. Unlike electric pumps, a manual pump can be used to drain only one breast at a time, making it time consuming too.
So before you purchase a breast pump, do take into account your needs, preferences and of course, your budget. And once you start using your breast pump, make sure to clean the pump properly after use and never share it with anyone to avoid infection.
Insurance can cover the cost of the pump. Aeroflow Breastpumps is a company that does the tough part of filling out all the paperwork to your insurance for you. Go to their website to fill out the form for your free pump.
So let’s get to it. Here are our top 5 picks for Breast Pumps:
1. Medela Pump in Style Advanced with Tote is a double electric breast pump designed for moms who pump several times a day, Medela’s breast pumps work more like breastfeeding babies to deliver the milk you need to provide for your baby even when you’re not there.
- For portable, discreet pumping
- Three stylish microfiber bags to choose from (On-the-go-tote, Backpack, or the Metro Bag): Holds everything you need to pump
- Battery pack (The Metro Bag’s is in a soft pouch): Lets you pump anywhere, anytime
- Single knob speed/vacuum adjustments: For comfortable pump settings
Removable cooler bag with contoured ice pack: Holds 4 breast milk bottles and ice pack to keep breast milk bottles cool
- All parts that touch breast milk are made without BPA: Safe for you and your baby
- On-the-go Tote also features: – Built-in bottle holders and Tubing storage pocket: Help prevent spills and keeps tubing organized between pumping sessions
- Dual voltage: 110-240v allows mom to pump while traveling outside the United States
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE: This lightweight manual breast pump has an ergonomic easy-express handle to reduce hand fatigue. It can be easily carried in any bag while traveling for quiet pumping sessions.
- IDEAL PUMPING: This pump features dual mode pumping & includes 2 flange sizes (standard 25mm & large 30.5mm), and NaturalWave nipple, cap & collar. It provides ideal suction, storage and feeding.
- CONVENIENT & HYGIENIC: Lansinoh breast pumps allow you to pump directly into our pre-sterilized Lansinoh breastmilk storage bags for convenient, hygienic pumping that saves precious breastmilk & time.
- BY & FOR MOMS: Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh is committed to helping moms succeed in breastfeeding with breast pumps, nursing pads, nipple cream, breast milk storage bags & more.
- MOM FOUNDED & PARENT LED: Founded by a breastfeeding mom, Lansinoh has supported moms for 35 years with award winning breast pumps, nipple creams, nursing pads, and breast milk storage bags, helping families create bonds that last a lifetime.
- Includes: Spectra S1 Hospital Grade Double/Single breast pump, 12 volt AC power adapter, detachable power cord prongs, (2) Spectra wide neck bottle, (2) Spectra backflow protector, (2) Spectra duckbill valve, (2) Spectra tubing, (4) flange (2-24mm & 2-28mm)
- Closed system: No need to clean the narrow tubing because Spectra S1 has a closed pumping system that keeps tubing dry by preventing air flow between expressed milk and pump tubing while pumping protecting breast milk and baby from bacteria, mold and viruses
- Rechargeable battery: Spectra S1 has a convenient, inbuilt rechargeable battery
Customizable settings: Each mother can customize her pump’s settings to her own body’s response and follow her flow to find her own best settings with the S1’s completely adjustable suction and 2 phase cycling in let-down and expression mode
- Mommy owned: Spectra Baby USA is owned and run by registered nurses, board certified lactation consultants, and more importantly… by moms
- PUMP ANYTIME, ANYWHERE: The smallest, lightest and quietest wearable breast pump Elvie Pump makes it possible to pump on your own terms – at home, at work or on-the-go. Ditch the hours spent hidden in cupboards, tethered to a wall or cleaning tubes. With Elvie Pump you can lead the meeting, get outside or simply enjoy some peace and quiet… all while you pump.
- SILENT: Revolutionary technology eliminates noise so that you can pump in peace – anytime, anywhere. It’s in stealth mode so that you don’t have to be.
- WEARABLE: Small and lightweight, Elvie Pump is worn inside a standard nursing bra, making it truly hands-free. Nothing to tie you down – or slow you down.
- HASSLE-FREE: From setup to clean up, using Elvie Pump is simple – it has just 5 parts to clean and takes seconds to assemble. No cords, no wardrobe changes, no fuss.
- SMART: Connect to the free Elvie Pump app to monitor milk volume in real time, track pumping history for each breast and control the pump remotely.
- RESPONSIVE: Elvie Pump automatically switches from Stimulation into Expression mode when it detects let-down and will pause when the bottle is full. One less thing to think about.
- Most Value For Money Silicone Breast Pump / Breastmilk Saver With BOTH Pump Strap And Silicone Pump Stopper: Silicone Manual Breast Pump collects “let-down” / breast milk leaks and relieves engorgement using pure natural suction pressure. Every ounce of breast milk is precious. Save it for your baby.
- Extremely Soft And Comfortable. Unlike other silicone pumps that have pour spout, NatureBond has removed redundant pour spout that cause discomfort to breast skin during suction. This is important to moms. With Pump Straps, there will be “no more crying over spilled milk” too.
- Easy to use, Lightweight and Portable – Hands-free and saves breastmilk on the other side during breastfeeding. Very Lightweight and Perfect for travelling. Hassle free and no pumping “noise” that may awake the baby
- High Quality Silicone breast pump. Sterile Vacuum Sealed. BPA Free and FDA Approved Food Grade Silicone. Lab tested and certified by Bureau Veritas which is a World Leader in Testing, Inspection and Certification.
- Must Have Essentials Pack that includes both Patented Pump Strap And Silicone Stopper. Complete with Dust Cover Lid, Velvet Pouch, Silicone Breast Pump and Full Color English Instructions in Hardcover Gift Box. Perfect baby shower gift for newborn mothers. Recommended by lactation nurses from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital (USA).
- #1 Silicone Manual Breast Pump in USA, UK & Canada.