This is a versatile and easy dish for lunch or dinner for all ages. There are a variety of vegetables and proteins that can be chosen to fit your family’s taste buds. For vegetarians, the tofu kabobs are a good option. For those who eat meat, there’s the chicken option. For a larger quantity and more variety make both chicken and tofu, as they have the same cooking time and will be ready at once.
Make this quick and easy kabobs recipe the whole family can enjoy.
- 1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey*
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Kabobs (Makes 4)
- 9 ounces firm tofu, cubed (or 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cubed)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1 medium bell pepper cut into chunks
- Whisk all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour marinade over tofu or chicken.
- Tofu should marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Chicken should marinate 30 minutes.
- While waiting for marinade, soak 4 wooden skewers in cold water at least 30 minutes.
- Thread tofu or chicken and vegetables onto skewers, alternating as desired.
- Place kabobs on a lightly greased cookie sheet or broiler pan, and transfer to a hot grill or to the oven set on broil.
- Cook 5 – 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and browned.
*Do not serve honey to children under one year.