Not all muffins are fat and sugar bombs that’ll leave your toddler (or you) bouncing off the walls. Case in point? These mini muffins, packed with whole grains, veggies, and flaxseeds. These butternut squash mini-muffins are a treat for tiny hands.
Ingredients: (Makes 36)
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large apple, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a mini-muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, flaxseed, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the butternut squash per package directions until just warm.
- Mash with a fork.
- Add the eggs and canola oil and mix well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just moistened.
- Fold in the chopped apple.
- Fill each mini-muffin cup with 1 heaping tablespoon batter.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 1 minute; transfer to rack.