Kids who eat a healthy breakfast are more alert, behave better, and have fewer mood swings. These three brain-boosting meals make it easy to set up your little one for success each morning.
- Serve your child 1/2 cup of brain-building oatmeal (or any other unsweetened whole-grain cereal) with 1/2 cup of milk and 1/4 cup fruit each morning.
- If you opt for a ready-to-eat cereal, choose one in which whole-grains are first on the ingredients list and sugar is third, or preferably further down.
- Eggs are the top source of choline, an essential nutrient that benefits areas of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
- A scrambled egg is ideal for 2- and 3-year-olds.
- Simply mix 1 egg with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and microwave for 40 to 60 seconds.
- Serve with a slice of whole-grain toast, 1/4 cup yogurt and 1/4 cup fruit.
Toast + Smoothie to Go
- Blend 2 strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup yogurt for a smoothie that provides sustained mental energy.
- Mash up an avocado and spread 3 tablespoons on a slice of whole-grain toast to complete this brainy, on-the-go breakfast.