This is easy cooking at its best ~ healthy and versatile, eat this chili with a little cheese on top, or put it on hot dogs, nachos, the works! Bean, Beans, Are Good For the Heart! (you know the rest…)
An all around fabulous dish – here’s the recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 package spicy turkey sausage (like Aidells Habanero and Green Chile)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 16 oz red kidney beans
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs cumin
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoons salt
- In a large pot add the oil and brown the turkey, drain liquid.
- In another pan brown sausage and add to turkey.
- Add onions and peppers, beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic and spices.
- Add beer to taste.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then reduce heat.
- Wow – that was easy!!
Some info about beans: According to David Grotto in his book 101 Foods that Can Save Your Life, studies have shown that eating beans regularly, more so than any other food, contributes to longevity across various ethnicities. Bean eaters are less obese than non-bean eaters, reduces hypertension, reduces the risk of breast cancer, among many other things.
Recipe courtesy of our friends at bloomacious.