Give peas a chance! Many children’s first foray into green vegetables is peas, because of their sweet flavor. Just be careful not to overcook them. They should be bright green, to preserve the high levels of vitamins A and C, not drab and gray like the jarred version.
Ingredients: (Makes 3 servings)
- (1) 10-ounce package frozen organic peas, or 10 ounces shelled fresh peas.
- Place frozen or fresh peas in a steamer basket set in a pot filled with about 1 to 2 inches of lightly boiling water.
- Do not let water touch peas.
- Cover tightly for best nutrient retention and steam for 2 to 3 minutes, or until peas are tender and bright green.
- Rinse peas in cold water to stop cooking.
- Puree in a food processor with a steel blade.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid to make puree smoother and adjust consistency.
- Place frozen or fresh peas in a microwave-safe dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons water and cover tightly, allowing a corner to vent.
- Microwave on High for 1 minute and stir peas.
- Re-cover and cook for 1 minute, or until tender and bright.
- Cool peas and proceed with directions above.