This high-fiber veggie pasta sauce can be used over pasta or meatloaf, or even as a pizza sauce; 1- to 2-year-olds can eat it on veggie pasta as finger food.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 (12-ounce) box whole-wheat rotini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
- 1 (15-ounce) can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the rotini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and garlic salt.
- Place the carrots and squash in microwave safe bowl and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree squash and carrots with the diced tomatoes, spinach, and red pepper.
- Add pureed mixture to tomato mixture cooking in saucepan.
- Cook 10 more minutes or until hot throughout.
- Serve over cooked pasta.