Beta carotene in spinach boosts vision and immunity. Try this fun, easy recipe for wagon wheel pasta with pesto that you and your child will enjoy throughout the week!
Recipe takes approximately 20 minutes and makes 10 servings.
- Cook 8 ounces of wagon wheel pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In a food processor or blender, puree 3 cups packed baby spinach leaves, 1 cup packed basil leaves, 2 peeled garlic cloves, 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, 2⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 4 teaspoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon honey.
- While the food processor or blender is running, gradually pour in 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil; process until combined.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the pesto.
- Gently fold in 1⁄2 cup finely chopped grape tomatoes.
Per toddler serving:
(1⁄2 cup) 195 calories, 6 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 1,150 IU vitamin A, 5 mg vitamin C, 82 mg calcium, 1.6 mg iron, 91 mg sodium, 1.5 g fiber
Stacy Whitman is a freelance writer and the mother of a 3-year-old boy and 11-month-old twins in Idaho. Kim Galeaz, R.D., C.D., is a culinary nutrition consultant and registered dietitian in Indianapolis, Ind., and Jacksonville, Fla.